Scenario planning is a useful tool for organizations that need to plan for the future but are uncertain of what the future will bring. Originally used during the Cold War to cope with the paradox of needing to be prepared–but uncertain of what to prepare for–it has evolved into a highly effective approach for organizations working in dynamic environments.
Scenario planning extends an organization’s capacity for strategy development beyond the effective range of traditional strategic planning by building on multiple versions of the future rather than a single prediction. In this way, the process results in robust strategies able to accommodate a number of potential factors that may impact the organization.
This training program provides the participants with the fundamental knowledge to apply scenario planning techniques to the strategic decisions that need to be made for the organization.
This program is targeted towards the Top Executive level and the senior management of the organization who are involved in planning and developing the strategic direction of the organization.
- Understand how scenario planning differs from trends analysis
- Clarify drivers for change to help develop scenarios
- Establish the success factors for the scenario options
- Link scenario planning to other elements of strategy
- Map uncertainties and choosing key ‘change axes’
- Develop headings and storylines to share the narrative etc.
- Use scenarios to drive innovation in service delivery, business model or funding
- Forecasting and Uncertainty
- Alternatives to Forecasting
- Use of Scenarios in Planning
- Effects of using Scenarios
- How scenarios can transform a business
- Methods of developing scenarios
- Methods of presenting scenarios
- Scenarios and Strategic Planning